Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Truth or Consequences

As I look over my life – or my life since becoming an independent adult – I have come to the conclusion that life is a bitch. A real, true bitch. And then you die.

You know what really just sucks about that? It doesn’t have to be this way.

Sometimes I really and truly do not feel like carrying on anymore. I do though, because I don’t wish to leave my wife and family with the pain that “pulling the trigger” would cause. It’s not fair to them. Suicide is like that – it is a very selfish act.

I have to admit that I do find the thought of not having to deal with pain and suffering to be very inviting. But it is so much more than that.

Truth is dead. I suppose that here and there one can still find pockets of truth. But these days, people have gone so far as to tell themselves lies. Don’t believe me? “I can charge this and pay it back later.”

Yep, truth is dead. Whether I’m dealing with individuals, institutions, or government, lies are the order of the day. But nobody really gives a shit.

Many of us say we do, but we don’t really care. I know this, because nothing ever changes. We never do the hard work to find the truth. We just accept the bullshit we’re told, and then we move on and watch more TV. Or charge more junk we don’t need. Or eat more food we don’t need. Or take more drugs we don’t need. Or have sex with our hot neighbor or coworker.

Name your vice.

We get pissed off and shout down and vote out the current political party in charge – never bothering to figure out both parties are two sides of the same coin. It’s a mirage, a bunch of bullshit meant to give you the illusion you have some degree of control. You do not. Your country is a government by the plutocracy, for the plutocracy, of the plutocracy. But you don’t really care. You’ll argue with me instead of bothering to figure out what’s happened to your country.

Liberty, to most of you, means being able to buy more cheap, imported shit from Walmart. What it does not mean, to you, is “The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.” 90% of you have no idea who said that, and you won’t even bother to find out. Don’t feel too bad – I don’t want to give up my life for a bunch of lazy, lying, murdering fucks either.

Don’t forget, American Idol is on tonight. And to hell with your mortgage – the government will pay it. Save money? Are you fucking crazy? I just bought a big, power-sucking TV, and I’m going to watch some sweet porn on it.

So… I guess we get what we get.

4 comments:

cheyenne jones said...

"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them."

Thomas Jeferson, your quote and mine!

Anonymous said...

Rise above it Johnny D, and don't look down. Sure, the world's full of bad stuff, but there are plenty of good things too, and it's better to dwell on those.

Johnny D. said...

I hear ya, Valance. And you're right. I guess sometimes I just can't do it. This blog, no one knows me, so it is somewhat therapeautic to come here and tell my true thoughts.

Cheyenne, good job, and great quote in return.

Anonymous said...

Yup, it's a bit like keeping a diary, but this one talks back to you.