Saturday, July 23, 2011

Hey, Hey - I got something to say!

It is strange living in a house with no children.  Once my last son left for the Army, it sure got quiet around here.  I'll tell you something else too.  It got cheaper.  And we make a whole lot less trash.  This past Tuesday when I took the can down to the road for pick up, there was two sacks of garbage in the can. 

We went totally solar last week.  We invested in solar power, solar hot water, and had a solar attic fan installed.  We actually have enough solar electricity to turn the JEA meter backwards.  I figured, what with the cost of power guaranteed to never go down, why not spend $25,000 now.  I borrowed (at 3%) $20,000, and put down in cash the rest.  So, for a few years, I'll be paying $350 a month to pay back the loan.  In effect, I've guaranteed my power costs for years. 

I'll let you know how it all turns out once we start getting JEA bills.

2 comments:

Tom Rich said...

Johnny - very interesting! I would love to hear more about this. Maybe you could write a few blog posts about your experience, the pros and cons of going solar.

Glad to see you posting on the WD blog.

Johnny D. said...

Thanks, Tom. Very nice to hear from you. I will do exactly as you suggest. Let me get my first light bill (August's) with full solar power in the mix. I'll post some pictures too.

So far, I highly recommend solar power, but like I said, let me see what the bills start looking like.