Saturday, August 29, 2009

Maybe I'll come by here more often. I've been spending a lot of time reading the FBC Jax Watchdog blog. I like this guy, Tom Rich. He's got balls. I like people that stand up for what they believe in - no matter the consequences.

I don't know though. I mean, I've got facebook and MySpace, and my own personal website. If I start regularly blogging here, it's just one more headache and one more link to share. I do like this site's editing tools though. Facebook's completely suck. MySpace has gotten better. So, we'll see. Maybe I'll blog here more often, maybe not.

For those of you coming here from the FBC Jax Watchdog site, I am not a Christian. I was, and I was very sincere about the matter. In fact, in an effort to become a pastor, I attended two years of Bible College. I dropped the whole matter when I realized that Christians sin more, or just as much, as lost people. If Christians have any claim to make, it would be the claim that God's Holy Spirit indwells each believer once the person believes and accepts Christ's death for his/her sins, as well as His resurrection from the dead. I saw almost no evidence of that indwelling power, and in fact, saw pretty much the opposite. For the most part, church is a social club - complete with income level comparison, clothing comparison, and other such bullshit criteria.

Show me a church like the one in the first few chapters of Acts, and I'll consider returning, but I can tell you for a fact, there is no such church in Jacksonville, Florida.

6 comments:

FBC Jax Watchdog said...

Hi Johnny - thanks for coming by my blog, and I appreciate you sharing your thoughts on the blog.

I'm sorry that you gave up on Christianity, but believe me I understand where you are coming from. But keep seeking and stay open-minded and don't totally give up on your faith. I've seen the ugliness of so-called Christian leaders first hand, and so has my wife. But our faith in Christ is still strong, and I won't let hypocrites deter me. There is much to be disgusted with in organized religion, especially in the SBC, and in SBC mega churches run like corporations with CEOs at the helm.

But it doesn't invalidate the claims of Christ. Far from it, because the truth is that while Christ was meek, his harshest public criticisms and rebukes were spoken to the religious leaders of His day. We have a regligious system in the SBC that is very similar to the days of Christ and the Pharisees, and more and more Christians are realizing it. I believe Christians should not be silent and should stand up and point it out, just like Christ did. And we must do it publicly. Christ didn't schedule private meetings with the head of the Pharisees, he rebuked them openly and publicly so that all could see what phonies they were.

So I say all that to say that the fact there are Pharisaical leaders in Christianity proves the positive.

Stop by the WD site anytime!

Johnny D. said...

Watchdog, thanks for the comment and the encouragement. You're a good man, WD. I'll keep coming by. I'm gonna hoist a Jameson to you and justice when you win your cases.

Provender said...

Watchdog, it is good of you to try to see your critics in the best light, as "young, immature" believers and all.

When I was a sycophant to my abusive pastor, I had a lot invested in him. The previous pastor used purchased sermon notes and seemed to use scripture as window dressing. This appalled me. When the new pastor came, and treated scripture the way I thought it should be treated, I felt vindicated in my previous view of the last one. Finally, a pastor who puts the horse before the cart, I thought. When this new pastor started to abuse the flock, first in subtle ways and then more openly, I rationalized his behavior, excused it, blamed the victims, ignored all the red flags. I had too much invested in viewing him as ideal pastor. Finally, after the abuse escalated and I was not able to excuse it anymore, only then could I see things as they really were. It took the excommunication of a grandma whose only crime was that her husband had publicly questioned the pastor about someone who had left. That was it. But when she was escorted out, it set me to thinking. By that time, much abuse had already happened that I chose not to see.

Sometimes, these bootlickers (since I was one I feel justified in using that term) believe their pastor has some spiritual advantage and soon there will be a big breakthrough. Because my pastor was a recovered alcoholic, I thought my alcoholic brother might be reached by him when no one else before could. That was another supporting factor.

You just don't know what they might think their pastor will do for them. It might be personal; it might be spiritual; it might be political. But there is likely some unspoken promise that they hold out hope for with this pastor. These promises rarely materialize. It takes time before that sinks in sometimes.

Johnny D. said...

Provender, while I appreciate your comment, I doubt dog reads here much. In fact, I don't think anyone reads here much. As noted in this blog, I have only just started using this account. I blog elsewhere - fairly successfully. Anyhow, thanks for coming by.

Provender said...

Sorry about that. It was kind of rude to use your new blog to talk to someone else. Best of luck to you on this blog. I've never heard the term "successful blogging" before. When you say "blog successfully" are you talking numbers of visits, ad revenue, enjoyment, interplay of ideas or what exactly?

Johnny D. said...

Interaction is what I mean. I get quite a few comments and interaction elsewhere, but I have taken the time to build a group of friends there. Haven't done that yet here.

And you have no need to apologize. You're welcome here anytime, and I didn't find it rude at all. I was just doubting WD would see your comment - which is a good one by the way.