Howdy.
My son graduates from basic training in a few days. We're driving to Columbia, South Carolina to watch the ceremony. After that he goes to Huntsville, Alabama to begin his EOD training. He'll be there for about 11 weeks. Following that, he goes to Eglin Air Force Base to complete his EOD training. He'll be at Eglin for about 7 months.
Interestingly enough, the EOD school at Eglin is run by the Navy. All four service branches send their EOD candidates through this school. Navy SEALs attend this same school. It is very demanding training. Apparently, EOD folks are considered an elite branch of service.
My son called today, and of course it was wonderful to hear from him. He now says he wants to go Airborne after his EOD training. I'm all for it in that I want him to do what he wants to do. I still wish he had not went into the military, but he has and I can't do anything about it. I figure he might as well be with the more elite groups. That way he is with people that want to be there. I'd rather the guy watching his back is a guy that wants to be there. Know what I mean?
I've turned him over to God. In fact, I've turned it all over to God. I can worry myself to death over all of the crazy things going on in this world, or I can draw on my faith that God has it all under control. I believe God does have it all under control - down to the levels of particles so small that physicists can only infer they are there via the effects they have on the stuff they can prove is there.
So, that's where I am these days. I'm looking forward to the trip to South Carolina. We're going to bring him home for a couple of days, and then drive him up to Huntsville next Saturday. Our current understanding is that he has to report by Sunday evening. It's going to be a busy week. Wish me luck! And if you pray - pray for Tim's safety, and while you're at it, send one up for us as we travel around 1500 miles in the span of five days.
5 comments:
'I'd rather the guy watching his back is a guy that wants to be there. Know what I mean?'
Yup, I know what you mean, Johnny. And I hope that 1500 miles passed by without any unwelcome excitement.
It was almost exactly 1500 miles total, Mr. V. And yup, it went just fine. It's always hard to leave him behind. We drove him from Columbia to Huntsville, Alabama. Man, that part of the country sure is pretty. They call 'em mountains up there, but they are really mostly hills to those of us born out west, but it sure is pretty up there. We even got into some snow. Thanks for stopping by, Mr. V!
Johnny D,
I enjoyed this post, and I've got lots of prayers for Tim as well as you and yours. Men like Tim are special and the next time you talk to Tim please tell him "Thank You" for me. Without men like Tim... America wouldn't be free.
With the way things are going in this world it's very hard not to worry...so I'll be keeping Tim in me thoughts.
And don't you worry Johnny D ...your love will bring him home safely.
Hawk/Miss Houston
Thank you, Miss. Houston. What a nice treat to find you had visited!
Hey Johnny,
I try to visit as often as possible, but writing keeps me pretty busy, so I don't get to comment as often as I'd like.
I enjoyed this post and I'm looking forward to more!
Hugs
Hawk/Miss Houston
Post a Comment